Did you know that you can easily create different Kodi profiles? This is an often-overlooked feature that brings numerous helpful options. When it comes to Kodi, each profile has a different data folder which stores user-specific files. This means that different profiles can have different addons installed, along with skins and other customizations.
The screenshots in this article apply to Kodi 18 Leia. However, the process is very similar to earlier Kodi versions, and we’ll tell you what to keep in mind. Also, note that you can create user profiles in Kodi on all the supported platforms.
Warning: Why you must NOT USE Kodi without VPN?
YOUR IP ADDRESS IS EXPOSED
Your IP: 18.104.22.168
USE A VPN AND HIDE YOUR ACTIVITY!
Here are the reasons that you should consider looking at it without SKIPPING.
- Using ILLEGAL Kodi Addons are Dangerous without a VPN: Most of the Kodi users are installing the ILLEGAL Kodi addons on their system to access all the latest movies, TV shows, sports, music, and much more for FREE, than a legal Kodi addon where it has the least content in it. But do you know what? The video content on illegal addons are a scraped and copyrighted material. If you are accessing them on Kodi, then your activities will be monitored by your ISP by tracking your IP and gives all the information to the government or companies if they request for it. This will land you in trouble. To stay away from this, you will have to connect to a VPN where it hides your identity by rotating your IP address while streaming Kodi content. This is how you will be safe from the prying eyes.
- Bypass Geo-Restriction: As you probably know, some official addons like BBC iPlayer, NBC Sports, Hulu, IceFilms have geo-location restrictions. This also applies to other addons like Acestream which fetches the data from torrents. To unblock these restrictions, you will have to DEFINITELY use a VPN no matter what.
The above are the 2 reasons that forcing us to recommend a VPN to the Kodi users for safer streaming. In fact, after testing several VPNs for Kodi, we finally came up with a one non-stop solution and that is IPVanish – the #1 voted Best VPN for Kodi so far.
Limited Time Offer: For our readers, there is a up to 60% off IP Vanish which has increased to 73% off for a limited time only – the offer will expire after the date, so be quick!
Here’s how to set up new user profiles in Kodi in 2020.
- Launch Kodi and wait until it fully loads;
- Then, click on the Gear icon (top-left corner) to open Kodi’s Settings;
- Click on ‘Profiles’. If you use an earlier Kodi version, click on ‘Profile Settings‘.
- Take a look at the left-placed sidebar and click on ‘Profiles’;
- At this point, you will see all of the currently created profiles. The Master User is created by Kodi the first time you run the application. We are talking about how to set up Kodi profiles, so we need to click on ‘Add Profile’;
- Kodi will ask you to name a new user. Let’s go ahead with ‘User X’. Click ‘OK’ to confirm the entry;
- Next, you’ll see a pop-up named ‘Browse for Folder’. You can skip this step and click ‘OK’ to apply Kodi’s default values for the new user;
- Finally, you will see a dialog box named ‘Edit Profile’. This is a very important step, so we’ll take a moment to explain everything. Keep on reading.
We have arrived to the final step of creating a new Kodi profile. Even though it doesn’t look like much, the ‘Edit Profile’ window brings numerous different options. Let’s take a moment to explain what can be done here.
- Profile Name: If you decide to change the user’s name, you can do it here;
- Profile Picture: The name says it all. You can assign a picture as well;
- Profile Directory: This is where you can select a folder where individual settings can be stored;
- Lock Preferences: This option allows you to set up a password for specific content categories. For example, you can set up a lock for music, videos, pictures, addons, or file manager.
- Media Info: Using this interesting option, you can set separate information for pieces of media. If you want to create fully independent profiles, you can go with ‘Separate’;
- Media Sources: This option allows you to set separate media sources for each profile. We recommend using the ‘Separate’ option to create fully individual profiles.
Once you set up everything, confirm your entry – and that’s it. You’ve just created a new Kodi profile!
Read More Kodi Tutorials
- Learn how to setup Kodi on Android
- Learn how to setup Kodi on Windows
- Learn How to setup Kodi on Mac
- How to enable unknown sources in Kodi
That’s it! You now have ‘install from unknown sources’ enabled on Kodi!